Monday, April 02, 2007

WHY CAN'T I BREATHE AS WELL?

This is the question that I've become consumed with these last few days.

It began last week, when I sensed that I had less tolerance for walking and doing simple tasks. Then, Thursday nite and Friday morning it became more acute. I was struggling to breathe when I performed very minor tasks (by previous standards). I was quite winded after walking up the stairs to the bedroom. Then I was winded just from walking to the bathroom and back to the family room (about 100 feet).

I called my primary care doctor, late Friday afternoon. Thankfully he is also a friend and has a personal understanding of me and my condition - he scheduled me in immediately. It helps to have a doctor that trusts you as well as you trusting him/her. It assures that everyone knows that when you call, late on a Friday afternoon, it means that you have to address the issue RIGHT THEN - and not the following Monday.

The examine showed that my oxygen levels were down significantly. I was always in the high 90's (98-99%) but today I was running in the 88-90% level. This is a bad thing! My doctor took me for a stroll in the office to see if the levels were maintained while walking... they drooped slightly - again - not good. He sent me to the Xray lab (across the hall) and within 15 minutes we were observing my lung pictures. Compared to the xrays that I had had, just a week earlier (about another little issue), this one showed significant fluid in the lungs. WHY? The possibilities are many, so I won't list them now... none are good... some are more treatable than others.
Right now we are in the midst of blood tests (for kidney function), and echocardiagram (for heart & lung circulatory functions). These tests will be completed with results by late tomorrow...

In the mean time, I am operating at a reduced level of activity... and left with much time to ponder the questions that I posted earlier.

A note of importance: TODAY IS OPENING DAY FOR THE RED SOX!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned for news on all issues, as they develop...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

David,
I hope that you are okay. Has your breathing improved?
Sheila Taylor

Fri Apr 27, 02:52:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
free web counter