Sunday, February 25, 2007

HEALING - DAY 23 - 022507

Yesterday I thought I had an accomplishment worthy of a posting, all to itself... but then, today happened.

Not only had I begun a series of exercises, so that I can begin to strengthen my arms; but I walked the length of our road TWICE! The second lap was tougher to complete but I made it, and kept the pace at a steady and regular pace.

THEN TODAY... which began like most days. Up at 7:00. Pills, cereal, OJ, iced coffee and a book until about 9:00.
When I got out of bed, I felt really good. This, too is common these days. I haven't done much, so why wouldn't I feel good.
When I got ready to pick up the weights, I got a charge of motivation and performed a series of exercises that I had learned several years ago at my local physical therapy clinic, (shout out to South County PT!). After I finished a challenging and rewarding set of reps, I set up a form on which I will keep track of my daily performance. That was cool, but not the complete story...

Then I went for a walk. When I reached the end of our road... I turned right and continued... The route that I took is equal to about 2 1/2 times my previous longest walk - which means that I walked about 1/2 MILE!!! I did this at a steady pace and arrived home without any severe side affects. I wasn't coughing and didn't need to plop my butt into the nearest chair.

And then... I walked again... and further still! This time I continued to walk throughout my neighborhood. I can only estimate the distance (as my car battery died for the 2nd time in 2 weeks time). I believe the distance to be at least 1 mile!!! I haven't walk a distance that even comes close to this, since about 6-9 months ago.

Although I am quite happy with this achievement, it must be qualified on several points. As my condition worsened, last year, I wasn't motivated to push my limits. On the contrary, as my breathing became more restricted my focus became the conservation of my limited resources. Exercise would only wear me out and the benefits were null. So, could I have walked a mile or more? Probably.
Then what is different now? What is my risk and what are the potential gains?

The Difference?
All we know just now is that my body is healing from the affects of the chemo-therapy treatments. It is probable that that treatment may have positive affects, such as slowing, or even reversal of some symptoms. (It is not expected that scarring in the lungs (fibrosis) will be reversed.) The symptoms that have been reported as reversible are ones that (if it is so for me too) would have affect on the quality of my life - including the softening of skin, which may allow me to breathe easier. This may explain my steadily increasing tolerance for exercise.

The Risk/Gains?
I've been given an opportunity. My family, friends, and (an ever widening) community have given of themselves in ways that awe me. I am inspired to take risks. I will not conserve my resources now. I awaken every day with the intent to DO SOMETHING, and keep doing SOMTHING. Walking as far as I can... reaching a little further for an object that fell on the floor... taking on more chores and family related tasks...

There are no limits anymore.
Any point at which I stop doing something, is the point at which I begin to do something else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
free web counter