Friday, February 09, 2007

I Will Ask... And You Can Say Yes or No

This is one of those times when I have to step out of the safe zone.

You've been reading my story, and it's safe for all of us. I tell my story... you cheer me on... and we wait for the stem cells to work (or not)... Now I have to ask for your help.
Don't run away - I ask - You answer. Whether the answer is "yes" or "no", we both know that we are being honest.

Well, I know someone who is waiting for her chance to get the same procedure as I received. (As a matter of fact, I know of 5 or 6 people who are going through various stages, as they are trying to get a doctor and the finances aligned, so that they may have the same opportunity that I have.)

The person that I speak of now is Devona. You can read about her, and make a donation toward her stem cell transplant by clicking on the link, in the right column ("Please Help My Friend Devona").
Devona is in her early 30's. She and her life partner are raising a 13 year old boy.

There is much more of her story at this site: http://whatiamlivingfor.spaces.live.com/.

At this time, she is awaiting the scheduling of treatment at Northwestern University, in Chicago. She will participate in a trial that is very similar to the one I received.
Devona's fundraising has raised about 1/10th of what will be needed to get her through the treatment and followup recovery periods. Her father has committed a substantial amount - using his personal retirement funds - to guarantee that the procedure will be paid for.
I don't know what we may accomplish that can ease their burden - but I feel that I have an opportunity to communicate to you and you may want to seize the opportunity to help her.

Now I have to lay down, before I fall down.............................

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always amaze me. I cried today reading what you have taken the time to write about me and my family. God Bless you for thinking of me and others with all you are going through. You are an Angel. i hope to one day be able to meet you and catch a baseball game together. We deserve that after we get through all of this. Thank you for the friendship that I feel is growing stronger everyday.
Your friend always,
Devona

Sat Feb 10, 02:43:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

david, i want to say thank you for talking with my sister devona, i know from speaking with her she has alot of hope with her procedure coming. i havent meet you but i hope one day i can because of everything that you have been through and you taking the time to speak of my sister means more than words can say. I'm 39 and i have walked hand in hand with devona through it all and will continue.I'm planning on going to chicago with her. I hope everything goes well for you and your family. I pray for you everyday. Thanks for being a mentor to my sister it really means alot. rona boulet

ronaboulet@qualitydoors.com

Mon Feb 19, 03:47:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
free web counter