Friday, February 23, 2007

HEALING - DAY 21 - 022307

My mother would be so proud of me yesterday. No, I didn't graduate Dental School. (She always wanted me to be a dentist!) I changed the sheets on my bed. Mom didn't make a lot of demands of me (just ask my sisters) and still, when I would complete the simplest of tasks, she would be so happy.
Changing the bedding, now, is a task that I haven't been able to complete, by myself, in several months - perhaps since October - without taking frequent time-outs. This time, I had stripped the bedding, put them thru the wash and dryer - all the while performing other household chores - and then remade the bed. All that with minimal breaks.

Yesterday, I also found out the U.S. Postal Service (aka - Drill Sargent Academy) has signed on to coach my rehabilitation program. When I got to the mailbox, I saw that they had - WITHOUT ANY PREVIOUS WARNING! - delivered a bulky box, along with the normal compliment of letters!!! This challenged me to use both hands, to hold the mail and parcel, while I walked all the way back to the house. Then when I reached the house I had to shift the load to free up a hand and open the door - and THEN climb 3 steps to enter the house!!!!!!! Is anyone else as amazed as I am that I was able to achieve this impromptu training exercise?

My daily schedule still involves waking up about 6am - make my iced coffee, take my meds, and fix a light breakfast (usually cereal and toast). I listen to Howard Stern, while I read some books (I'm reading 2 different books), check email, and plan my day. I get out of bed about 9-10. Yesterday, I showered, and started chores right away. Lately, I've been working on a new computer I bought for my business (I have to train myself on Windows Vista operating system). Then, by mid afternoon, I sit down with a full lunch (and meds) and watch the History Channel.
After lunch, it's back to work. Most days I have issue to work on that come to us via the mail - "Why were we charged a service charge?" "Reschedule an appointment", "Research the cost of a new insurance coverage option." This carries me thru to dinner and the News programs... then Robbi and I settle in and watch the evening shows... Sometime between 7:30 - 9:00 I begin to crash. Last week and before, I was crashing much earlier. It does depend on how much activity I've had during the day. Last nite I was able to watch "Grey's Anatomy" with Emy (her favorite show) and Robbi, although I napped during the commercials.

Speaking of naps - the greatest invention in the world of leisure!!! Irecommend that everyone take a nap for at least 1 hour a day - usually after lunch. Even if you don't actually sleep, it is incredibly rewarding to slip away from tasks and urgencies to "hide in your own stillness. It is similar to meditation, which is what some people do instead of napping. I suggest that either process is cool. Get away from the schedule of tasks and be within yourself for at least an hour, and you will feel renewed and recharged... for a while. The length of time that you feel better will vary, depending on how long it is before you allow the urgencies to overwhelm your thinking again. That is a variable that we all control, even when it feels like it has a life of it's own.

Enough of the "Davidisms" (my aattempts at sounding wise)...

Here is a shout-out to Devona: she has the dates for treatment to begin in Chicago > March 27th! Thanks to those of you who have donated additionally to her fundraising. She has also received the commitment of travel expenses (for both her, and her caregiver) from a couple of individuals in her business community.
Least the wrong impression be given - Devona is still in need of our support, to address the expenses for the hotel, and follow up treatments (just like me).

By The Way - Devona has been selected for the Stem Cell Transplant side of the trial!!!

Stay tuned.... film at 11.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
free web counter