Monday, January 22, 2007

Not as Geeky but more fun than StarTrek

So, we get the call to prepare to suit up at about 4pm...

Terri brings in the wheel chair and blankets, gloves and masks (I get to choose, because it's hard to breathe for more than 1 minute in any of type - or so we thought)... The chair is covered in 2 blankets... I plop in... and Robbi and her begin to wrap me up after I put on the mask and gloves... Debbie (The Boss) is the self-assigned driver.

Here is the Star Trek reference: The episode that was about a criminal trial of the "original" Enterprise Captain (pre-Kirk), and he was in a special chair that encased his body. I resembled a low-budget version of that - sort of high school video class.

We enter the hallway - my first time outside this room since Sunday, January 19th.
They put me in an elevator that is 10' from my room - very cool. Robbi is wheeling the IV Tree, which is not easy when you move it around for yourself - and she is coordinating my tubes with Debbie's driving! KUDOS to both of them!!!!

Onto the 1st floor... I am an intimidating vision... and ain't cause I might be mistaken for a 6'7' 305lb Defensive End... it more the way people fear the Theme from "JAWS" - you can't see it, and you don't want to... Not because your scared of this tacky movie, but because your annoyed! And that is why people look at me and stand-off... Our plan worked: If you can't forcibly clear the way - you make it look as appalling as possible - Debbie is a MASTER!

Debbie find the Xray Room and the Tech - Casey, a college intern... and you think the plot thickens? Not really... Except that Casey didn't know the exact key-strokes to pull up the online order for my process, He was Awesome! He made it fast. When he had to reposition me for the "shoot" I told him to imagine that I was infected with the Plague, he responded accordingly and will make a Class A Medical Professional.

Last notes:

a) The mask I wore is a type that has allowed me to breathe for extended periods - I wore it for an hour!
b) When we exited the elevator, on 3-North, I was out the door first, so I leaned forward to see and report "All Clear".
c) The cool air on the first floor was VERY VERY NICE to feel.

Everything adds to the prospective when you wake feeling safe and kinda cool... about 10am you hear that you have to go into a world that could kill you as easily as it won't... then you spend 3 hours planning to maximize (but never guaranteed) success... and then you execute with the best team you could be apart of... then you take a sponge bath by yourself in your cocoon, watch "Deal or No Deal" & "Heros" and write stories into cyber space... Does it get better than this?

I think not.

I love you Robbi, Jayme and Emily (and Sam and Gus too).
Sorry, no pics.

1 Comments:

Blogger emmy. said...

Gus read this entry with me. He loves you, too :)

Mon Jan 22, 10:13:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
free web counter