Friday, January 19, 2007

DAY 24 - 011907

IT'S A BOY!!!
A Bouncy, fuzzy headed, (still bearded) 52 year old boy!

David’s stem cell transplant was a success! Dr. Ann came in starting the day off saying “Happy Birthday” to David. Every January 19th will be David’s 2nd birthday from now on. This is considered Day 0 of his new immune system. Tomorrow is Day 1. Em and I witnessed the entire procedure snapping photos and writing notes. Absolutely fascinating. It reminded me of a human oil change. David slept through the whole thing. He looked a little like a drunken guy passed out during the whole thing. Oh yes I’ve seen him like that. Many years ago. The nurses kept him warm with warmed blankets and sips of water every now and then. 7 bags of brand new stem cells. 7 bags of a possible new life. Amazing.

Now we sit, pray and wait. Each day they will check David’s blood count to see how he’s doing and if the new immune system is building properly. This next week is very critical.

Meanwhile, David’s spirits are good. Dr. Ann says "his body likes what they did to it". That makes me smile.

Tired and smiling…

Love,
~ Robbi


[Patient Update:

I was pretty wiped out for the procedure. They pumped me with Benedryl and Adavan - good stuff if you don't want to know what going on.

Before everthing got set up, I was anxious that way I am when the poker guys are coming over... Do I have everything ready? Food, ice, is the cat put downstairs (Bob has allergies), have I picked out the good food stuff that everyone will enjoy? Just like this Transplant, the pros will take care of themselves and the game will be perfect - but the anticipation and welcoming is the the exciting part.

The only battle I'm fighting now is the the fluid I/O ratio. I keep losing ground and they give me that damn IV of Lasix.
Listen to the putz ---- (If this is the worst thing that I come away with, then I would be willing to drink shots of it everyday) but, if I can be endulge in a simple whine - I dispise the cramps and constant peeing without relief.

I stink - or so I'm told. A fallout from the Transplant is that my body reecks of garlic. It has something to do with the mixtures that the stems are are conditioned with. Robbi and Emily didn't notice it until they left tonite, and won't hug me.... their misfuture... I'm pretty lovable and cuddlie right now.

Looking ahead:
Saturday and is going to be quiet. Emy and Robbi are going to take some "girl-time". I'm going to chill and maybe rent a movie. I'm told that I should be feeling as good as at any time through the process. I know I'll be talking to family and friends on the phone. I've set up a few such times.

Sunday is a magical day in the making...

A) Bill Richardson, Governor of New Mexico, will announce his candicacy for the Democratic Presidential omination - on the ABC News program with George Stephanopoulos (or as Jayme referrs to him - Snuffalugglus.... (no offence intended).
This is cool for us because Jayme has personal ties to the Governor's staff.

B) There is a pre-game game at 3pm with 2 teams that hope for the chance to finish 2nd in the Super Bowl.

C) The Patriots @ 6:30pm.

By the time that game ends I'm expected to be going down to NADAR - the lowest point of immune protection that I will ever reach (intententionally).

It's now 11:45pm - and Robbi is yelling in my mind - GET SOME SLEEP!

Good nite all...........

2 Comments:

Blogger emmy. said...

i have to agree. you are pretty lovable and cuddlie right now. it's those pajamas. they're pretty sweet.

Sat Jan 20, 01:18:00 AM EST  
Blogger DesktopDavid said...

ppppppppppppppppuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sat Jan 20, 05:28:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
free web counter