Wednesday, January 17, 2007

DAY 22 - 011707b

Robbi's Update:

Last Chemo! Tomorrow will be final preparations for receiving stem cells on Friday morning. David began the day ordering a stationary bike for the room. By the end of the day things quieted down considerably. His body is demanding he take off the blue tooth and lay down already. The next few days into early next week are expected to be rough. We have plenty of chocolate, the Pats on Sunday, and Emily will be with us to warm our hearts.

Meanwhile with the storm coming on Friday and Sat I’ve decided to rent a 4 wheeler. My car is acting very snobby up here. She wants to know why she isn’t in her garage and isn’t happy about the icy conditions. When I went to start it this morning at -4 degrees I swear I heard, “Are you joking?” Note to self; Stem cell transplants should be done someplace “resorty” and warm.

We’re ½ way through! I miss you all.

Love,
~ Robbi

[Patient Update:

I started the day feeling like, "What's the big deal? I lay around in bed, call clients, listen to Howard Stern on my laptop, and email & blog all day... What am I doing that is so special?"

Yah, I know I have an incurable condition that, if unchecked, is likely to kill me in a year or 2 - and I live in a place where family, friends and strangers have contributed MASSIVE resources of love, support, and money to give me the best opportunity to change that script... So, what makes me so special?

When I began this rant, I felt that I might be on the cusp of the answer to that question - but I'm not. I've been playing this around in my head since the nite that Robbi, Jayme, Emily and I decided to ask for help. The answer is not clear yet... I know it's there. I can feel it. We all have an answer. I'm just a little slow on the uptake.
======================================

I was feeling pretty peppy this morning. I began doing laps in my room. Picture me schlepping in pajamas, rubber souled socks, my Healing shawl and a head warmer cap, around a 12x15 room. I get a clear path of about 10' one way - turn and walk back. That's 1 lap. Oh ya, while I'm doing this I have to wheel my IV tree in front of me. All I could think of is my bro-in-law Steve telling me "no pain, no gain". But in this case the only pain was the PAIN IN THE ASS IV TREE! So I called Debbie "The Boss". I asked her to get me an exercise bike. Just a small portable unit, that could be put into a corner of the room. My plan is to have an activity by which I can benchmark my energy level. Currently my major activity is to get up to pee 50 times a day (I hate Lasix!). I think I could peddle alittle while I wait to piddle alot. Debbie is looking into it for next week when I begin my recovery phase.

Tonite, was a mildly bumpy ride, anxiety, quickened respiration rate, and fatigue. Then as the nite went on, I got better and now it's midnite and I'm finishing up another day.

Tomorrow my Emily is coming to stay with us for the weekend. (I'm Snoopy Dancing... and Robbi is flying like Woodstock).

Good nite to all......... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi:
I have been following your website since the beginning. I have loved your candidness and yet informative journal. I tried to leave a message earlier but messed it up. I am a good friend of Deb's (known to you as the "boss").WE have been friends since college and now attend the same church. I have been thinking of you and praying for you and your family as you go through this procedure. I work part time down in Medical Oncology and full time in the ER as a PA....Just wanted you to know there are many people praying for you!!!! Thanks for sharing your journey.
Patty Gathman PA-C-pattypa@adelphia.net

Thu Jan 18, 12:32:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

What am I doing that is so special?

Having recovered from breast cancer 6 years ago, I will take a stab at this answer.

IMO, right now, you are not doing anything special but bravely facing an unpleasant situation.

The "special" comes after recovery, when the rest of your life is lived appreciating every single day. I see the world in a totally new way and every day is lived fully. In my experience, once survived, cancer (or any other life-threatening disease) is a blessing not appreciated until after it is over.

Wishing you love and hope! And please plan on some recovery time with us in beautiful Florida. Karen

Thu Jan 18, 11:42:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
free web counter