Monday, January 08, 2007

DAY 13 - 010807

Robbi's Update:

Today my son puts it best:
---"We harvested Dad's stem cells today! It was a 5-hour procedure with an amazing machine that Mom and Dad signed afterwards because we're the first ones to use it at this hospital. It has a centrifuge. Mom took a picture of Dad holding the bag of stem cells before they tagged it and I thought: "Holy shit... there could be 50 more years in that bag."---

It was an amazing day. When we got back to the hotel we looked out the window to see a FULL rainbow. Jay and I ran outside to experience what felt like a hug. Today we are grateful on so many levels.
~ Robbi

[Geek Update:

Harvest #1 is in the bag. It's was so simple for me. I just laid there and let the blood flow. But you watch and listen to the operators and you learn how amazing the whole process is. One line syphons my blood into the machine, where it is centrifuged to separate it's components by density. The heaviest components of the blood sink to the bottom and the lighter stay on top. Imagine a stream flowing by and at the bottom is the heaviest stuff (like pebbles and slug)... the next layer is clearer but still mixed with stuff we don't want... then the top layer has the cleanest fluid - in this case - the stem cells. To capture them we need to draw them off the flowing stream as it passes. A tube is dipped into the passing stream to suck off the good stuff. Now as simple as this sounds it's even more intricate. The quality of the fluid drawn has to be assessed by the tinge of color that the fluid has. They literally use a color chart to match the fluid - if it is too much red then that means that the tube is drawing more of the sludge. If it is to pinkish, then they are not drawing enough of the stem cells. The tube is adjusted tiny amounts up/or down to keep it at the proper level.

Maura, the woman who came in to lead this process was awesome. Cindy and Terri, my nurses, operated the machine under Maura's guidance and mentoring. The entire 6 hours involved questions, challenges, what if scenarios, and was all about doing this process with intense caring and focus on results. As the patient, it doesn't get better than this.

As the procedure progressed, I experienced several typical side-affects. First, I had a mild tingling sensation in my lips. This is the result of a calcium depletion that occurs from a chemical that is introduced into my retuning blood (to stop clotting). To replenish calcium, i had to take 2 TUMS 2 hours before the procedure and again in the middle of it. The other affect is fatigue.

For nearly the entire 6 hours I laid back in a recliner and listened to the chatter. Robbi, Jayme, Maura, Cindy, Terri and the parade of interested parties that passed thru my area all day provided a mix of stories, education, and laughter - all of which served to stimulate, feed and calm my mind. When it was over, we went back to the hotel and as we settled in, we got a call that I had to return immediately! The harvest was fine, as far as we know, but there are additional blood samples that are required for the Red Cross to process and store my stem cells. The actual results of the harvest will be measured and reported later today. Once I gave the additional tubes of blood - everything was on the way!]

[Patient Update:
Feeling good today (Tuesday). My weight is down to 167.5 lb. Blood pressure and temp are running good. Thus far, my appetite is diminished but still there. Last nite I eat more than I had in weeks.

Yesterday was an amazing experience. Most notable was that Jayme, who has been living on the outside edge of my treatments is now a player. His awareness and intelligence are incredible. His sensitivity and compassion is beautiful to behold. These are the reasons why I declare that he, and his sister, are the 2 most beautiful people I've ever met. As unique as they are, individually, they are identical at their core. They are the best medicine.

Send me your questions - I'm sure I left out some details.

David]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
free web counter